Thomas Hosmer Shepherd
landscapist, architectural draughtsman, and aquarellist
1793 – 1864
“ Thomas Hosmer Shepherd … painted exclusively views of streets and old buildings in London and other cities, which he executed with great truth and accuracy … Shepherd was largely employed by Frederick Crace in making watercolour views of old buildings in London previous to their demolition, and some hundreds of these are in the Crace collection in the British Museum ”
(Freeman Marius O’Donoghue, Dictionary of National Biography, vol. 52 , p. 53).
- Bank of England
- British Museum, Great Russel Street
- Burlington Arcade, Piccadilly
- East India House, Leadenhall Street
- Exeter ’Change, Strand (now pulled down)
- Fleet Street
- The Guild-Hall
- Harmonic Institution, Regent Street
- Haymarket Theatre & Part of the Opera Colonade / United Service Military Club House, from Regent Street
- NW & SE View of the London Horse & Carriage Repository, Gray’s Inn Road
- Horse Guards, Parliament Street
- House of Correction, Coldbath Fields
- Italian Opera House, Haymarket, from Pall Mall East
- The Limehouse Dock, Regent’s Canal
- London. Partial view across the River Thames at St. Paul’s Cathedral and the old Blackfriars Bridge
- The Mansion House, from the Bank
- Middle Temple Hall
- The Mint, Tower Hill
- The Monument, Fish Street Hill
- The New Treasury, Whitehall
- Old Bailey, Newgate
- Pantheon, Oxford St.
- The Quadrant and Part of Regent Street
- Royal Olympic Theatre, Wych St.
- Russell Square, and Statue of the Duke of Bedford
- St. James’s Palace
- St. John the Baptist, Savoy
- St. Katharine’s Docks, from the Basin
- Somerset House, Strand
- South Sea House, Threadneedle St.
- Surry Theatre, Blackfriars Road
- The Temple Church, as restored
- Theatre Royal, Covent Garden
- Theatre Royal, Drury Lane
- The Tower of London, From Tower Hill
- West India Import Dock, Poplar
“ It’s a truly one-of-a-kind very special item and I congratulate you on having the resources to have found it … You indeed have some wonderful things for sale.
These (ship) plans are indeed an exceptional find, Jan Hendrik, and I THANK YOU for making them available for sale. They are truly unique … Also – may I compliment you on your fantastic website display of the … plans – It is among the most professional and informative website I have ever seen! Mit Vielen Dank!!
Just a quick note to let you know your beautifully packed parcel arrived Friday in excellent condition due to your careful work. THANK YOU for wrapping it so well – certainly better than I could do – and that says a lot. It’s has been a real pleasure working with you … “
(Mr. M. W., from February 3 to March 7, 2011)