Petersburg – Memorial of a Genius
On May 26 it celebrates its 300th birthday
And , Aha ,
ridinger-niemeyer congratulates with quiz questions
Alexander Wilbrecht’s Reverence
St. Petersburg – Вилбрехт, Александр (1757 Санкт-Петербург 1823). Καρτα Οκρυжности Єτ. Πετερбүрга. / Wilbrecht, Alexander. (1757 Petersburg 1823). Karta Okrujnosti St. Peterburga. With miles indicator and, set into a shore landscape, title-cartouche with the double eagle, one of which holding an olive branch in its beak, the other crowned with a olive wreath, while between the heads the czar’s crown floats. Environs map of Petersburg c. 1 : 190,000 engraved by G. Kharitonov (cartouche) + Alexei Savinkov on white leather. (Saint Petersburg, The Geographic Dpt. of the Cabinet of Her Imperial Majesty, the Mining Academy’s School of Engineering, 1796/1800 [?].) Inscribed: Соч Ал. Вилъбрехт (followed by ?) / Гравировали Г. Карitоnоев и Ал. Савинкоев (Composed by Al. Wilbrecht / Engraved by G. Kharitonov + Al. Savinkov). 18⅜ × 22⅝ in (46.6 × 57.5 cm).
Rarissimum of Russian cartography
Alexander Wilbrecht, Karta Okrujnosti St. Peterburga (detail)
Wilbrecht’s maps are already generally
of paramount rarity .
Imperial geographer, head of the above Geographic Department and master at the Mining Academy’s School of Engineering, cartographer, mathematician, and astronomer, his name is quoted also in connection with general atlases, as for instance the Russian New Atlas or collection of maps of all parts of the globe, Petersburg 1793 (Phillips 679), but still up to the 1960s his name was missing in cartographic standard indices and also Tooley’s Dictionary (1979) results in no more than the simple mention of the 1792 French version of the
present one worked as separate map ,
the 1787 one of Cook’s Pacific discoveries, and the 1792 original edition of the Rossiiskoi atlas reflecting the administrative reforms of 1775, a second edition of which was published 1800. In respect of Petersburg both editions contain correspondingly only the map of its province (1 : 760,000), not the one of the closer environs worked contemporarily in a far larger scale of 1 : 190,000.
Atlas and map of the Pacific then also established in the noble lists “Notable Acquisitions” and “Unusual Items” edited by the British Library as the largest map collection worldwide for the annual volumes of IMAGO MUNDI, yet as stated
no copy of his map of Petersburg and environs
which is worked particularly instructively and presents besides rivers and the
network of highways specified by name
in its main arteries including the one to Moscow, a downright incredible plenty of details of the inner-city conditions about the mid-1790s (?). Among the dams and canals worth mentioning in particular
as the most important of the region,
which had been begun under Peter the Great in 1719
and was finished in 1732 by Burchard Christoph von Münnich (1683-1767), the famous German general and hydraulic engineer living in Russia since 1721.
Peter the Great in West Europe. The Great Legation 1697-1698. Catalogue of the (extended) 18-week exhibition “Treasures from the Kremlin – Peter the Great in West Europe” in the Übersee-Museum Bremen 1991. 162 items. Ed. by Wolfgang Griep + Frauke Krahé. 1991. Sm. 4to. 192 pp. With countless, several coloured, illustrations. Orig. boards with colour ills. on both sides. – In German.
Offer no. 14,508 / EUR 23. (c. US$ 28.) + shipping
Just in the year of Peter’s return to Moscow, 1698, an artist was born in Germany, who after his early move to Augsburg soon and lasting gained European fame, not least, too, in the country of the csar where in a world-famous gallery the most excellent of his only few paintings can be admired. Besides the seeds of liberal self-conciousness inherent in his now lifelong sphere of action as Imperial City with additionally mediaeval history of long democratic administration had him create a set of etchings jointly with a master of the word and senator of the Free City of Hamburg that might have been either do or die and loss of his livelihood anyway, if his noble clients only had noticed the sociopolitical explosiveness of the inherent message of this work. Or, more correct, had wanted to take notice of? For indeed even hundred years later the smart editor shunned to take notice of this oriflamme of freedom when dedicating the catalogue raisonné of this artist to his own ruling prince.
This graphical analysis, dedicated only formally to Alexander’s campaign and its damnation, was preceeded by a drawing created in 1723 by which he – after two luxuriant works still had glorified the victorious great Macedonian – now felt the pulse of that phenomenal campaign of conquest and together as 25-year-old easily anticipated by sixty years the turn of historic painting from the representation of heroic deeds to the reflection on these art history still attributes to Jacques Louis David. Thus of the same age as Peter in the year of his departure to the west.
His return route by the way lead him via Vienna where 212 years later the catalogue of a private collection dedicated to this artist was presented which still today is considered as being the noblest curtsey of literature to just this œuvre surviving the centuries seamlessly. Constraints and persecution later drove the collector up to Vancouver, “about as far away from Hitler as only ever possible” as one of his antiquarians remembered himself later.
Who was this Augsburg artist and what was the name of the Hamburg Pope of Baroque who wrote some captions not just to the thought set (independent of a prize: do you know its title as well ?) only ??
The prize for the first ten correct answers sent in – closing date is May 31, 2003, midnight, as the start of the next following monthly Aha-page – eliminating legal proceedings is one copy of the 8 € precious issue 18 of a publication series here, titled
THE COPY ,
with its enigmatic little mosaic stones “the master’s writing – the confused legs – the proofs – the foot of the badger – the autograph numbering” whose composing resulted in the solution fascinating researchers to hold in hands the working copy of a complete set of the very artist above. “Never before – so the preface to the presentation of that copy – according to the rich material here … this set as a whole has been described that diverging from the norm, let alone made available.” In German. 28 pages, with 50 (2 colour, one of which double full-size) illustrations, stitching with 3-colour wrappers.
No matter now if you email, fax or write – be among the first ten anyway !!
Incunables – St. Petersburg – Gorfunkel, A. X. (Catalogue of the Incunables of the Leningrad University.) 84 items. Leningrad 1967. Sm. 4to. 43 pp., 1 l. With 19 full-page ills. on plts. Orig. cloth.
In Russian, but short titles, concordance, indices, and bibliography in Latin characters. – Title in blue and black.
Offer no. 11,563 / EUR 33. (c. US$ 40.) + shipping
Worked and published in Petersburg
by the Imperial Academy of Sciences
founded by Peter in 1725
ATLAS RUSSICUS –
a MILESTONE 273 Years Ago
De L’Isle – Atlas Rvssicvs … Vastissimvm Imperivm Rvssicvm cum adiacentibvs Regionibvs. Under the supervision of Leonhard Euler and Gottfried Heinsius ed. by the Imperial Academy of Sciences in Petersburg. Petersburg, the author, 1745. Large folio. 16 pp. With
20 ( 1 folded several times ) double full-page coloured engraved maps
(c. 19¼-19¾ × 22 and 22¼ × 38⅝ in [49-50 × 56 and 56.5 × 98 cm] resp.) after Joseph Nicolas De L’Isle (1688 Paris 1768) and others. Marbled contemp. h. calf with back-plate, leather edges, and marbled boards. Paled marbled edges.
Phillips 4060 (together with additional war maps); Nitsche-Stender 141; Lexikon der Kartographie 688; Goldenberg + Postnikov, Development of Mapping Methods in Russia in the 18th century, in IMAGO MUNDI XXXVII, 63-80; Teleki, Atlas zur Geschichte der Kartographie der japanischen Inseln pl. 17,1 (pl. 19 of the atlas); Niemeyer, Rußlands Aufbruch in die Moderne – Peter der Große und die Entwicklung der russischen Kartographie, Bonn 1991, 5 + illustrations.
Schätze aus dem Kreml – Peter der Große in Westeuropa. Bremen, Übersee-Museum, 1991 (18 weeks incl. extension). – Catalogue no. 158 (uncoloured copy).
FIRST ISSUE OF THE FIRST EDITION . – Title + text – description of the maps regarding bordering, origin, accuracy and execution of surveying, transcription of the Russian alphabet; partly detailed Russian explanations of words; rich signs and symbols up to salterns + hot springs, this by the way engraved – in Latin + French (a Russian + German-language version still of the same year with fewer text preliminaries = Phillips 4059 and 3109 resp. each with erroneous comment to map 19 “showing the extreme point of Alaska and the Aleutian islands”, recte on the contrary Kamchatka + Kurile Islands). – The colours of deep quality.
As the first complete atlas of Russia
the decisive milestone on the way to modern Russia .
Sought was an utterly new map survey subject to astronomically set fixed points. At the head of the western astronomers and geographers called to Russia was J. N. Delisle who worked there from 1725-47 and whose astronomical school founded at the Academy produced several Russian astronomers of high repute while his works for the atlas of 1745 – preceded by Ivan Kirilov’s less decisive one of 1734 – suffered by friction. And “against the ban he copied all Russian maps and sent them secretly to Paris where they now form ( – but without the General Map – ) a valuable collection” (Bagrow-Skelton). He was simply reputed as “the French expert of Russia” (Galkovich). But he also was reproached for working too slow. A lack of currentness caused by this and poor accuracy were the reasons for him why he did not like to see his name being related to the atlas. Just as M. V. Lomonosov criticized .
Assigned to Delisle as assistant was Gottfried Heinsius (Naumburg/Saale 1709 – Leipsic 1769), 1736 called to Petersburg as associate professor of astronomy and member of the Academy, who still in the year of publication followed a nomination to Leipsic. See Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie XI, 656.
The detail maps 1-13 (1 : 1,527,000) covering the European part of Russia constructed markedly larger as against the 6 ones of the Asian part (1 : 3,360,000) – east of rivers Irtysh/Ob, but still up to the Pechora delta – and besides adorned with mostly richly figurative-instructive title-cartouches. The Asian maps furnished with just a title ribbon. Whether this has to be attributed to the economical importance and the degree of acquaintance then or expression of the request for a more precipitate completion of the works as criticized as inappropriate by Delisle may be left undecided here.
Of special historic interest the entrance of the Volga-Don Canal
plotted on the Volga district map. First the version as outlined in 1697 during a conversation between Leibniz and the Russian ambassador Golovin.
Of further extraordinary interest for the development of cartography
the supposedly first representation of the Kurile Islands
as a chain of named islands in uninterrupted sequence
stretching between northern Japan – the northern tips of which at the map’s lower edge – and Kamchatka. The disputed islands in the south of the chain correctly set off a little and situated closer to Japan. Thus without the obscure Staaten Island, Terre de la Compagnie and Terre de Jean da Gama still found in the maps by Kirilov and Haas, but also other, partly substantially later maps, practically making up the entire southern half of the chain of islands and besides by their placement, especially in the earlier maps, rather suggesting a yet also still largely unknown Aleutian Range come too far south.
For the cartographical rank of the atlas
see Goldenberg-Postnikov’s résumé :
“ Atlases, maps and large scale plans become the principal basis for the development of topographic maps. They remain as remarkable monuments of the history of Russian cartography created by the toilers of field cartography … From the point of view of studying the maps of Russia of the 18th century as historico-geographical sources, the cartographic materials of general land survey are undoubtedly the most abundant and valuable sources in spite of their relative imperfections. ”
The comprised area
in accordance with the borders at the time of Elizaveta Petrovna’s reign. In the east up to Bering Strait, with the Kurile islands and northern Japan , in the SE the complete River Amur district later acquired by Alexander II (czar since 1855) down to today’s Vladivostok. Apart from that in the south up to the headwaters of Kerulen, Selenga & Irtysh – Caspian southern shore – River Arax , then crossing the Black Sea on about the line Trabzon – Constanca , westerly up to Kiev – Memel – Helsinki with parts of Finland – Norwegian border area . In the north up to about 85° northern latitude .
Russian Empire in Europe, The. / NW Sheet. Map by Frdr. Wilhelm Streit (Ronneburg, Thuringia, 1772 – Berlin 1839). Steel engraving colored in outline. (1836.) 11⅛ × 9 in (28.4 × 22.8 cm).
The first sheet with the title of Streit’s 4-sheet map of Russia. – The coast from Stettin. – With the Baltic Provinces + Finland , still with Gothenburg . Shown finely St. Petersburg along with the Ladoga Canal. – With the postal routes.
Offer no. 7,442 / EUR 76. (c. US$ 92.) + shipping
Presented before the Silhouette of Petersburg
RUSSIA’S THIRD OWN GENERAL MAP
as close of an only 60-year epoch
of gigantically cartographic developments
Treskot (Trescotti, Tresskott, Trouskot, Truscott), Ivan Fomic (1721-1786) + Jakob F. Schmidt. Tabula Geographica Generalis Imperii Russici ad normam novis simarum observationum astronomicarum concinnata a Ioh. Trescotio et Iac. Schmidio. With
large title-cartouche with Catherine II ,
gliding on clouds ,
together with quadrant and globe
and a putti measuring the spread of the empire ;
a second large cartouche, flown over by the Russian eagle with laurel-wreath, sceptre and trumpet, with Mercury and Athena
with a map of the empire in front of the silhouette of Petersburg
and with a three-master, surrounded with medley war material; and with a landscape-cartouche with rocky steppe, obelisk and double miles indicator. Coloured Russia map 1 : 7.5 million printed from 3 plts. Augsburg, Tobias Conrad Lotter (1717-1777), 1784. 25¼ × 55⅛ in (64.3 × 140 cm).
Harms, Cat. van de Kaartencollectie Moll, 19; Lexikon zur Geschichte der Kartographie, Vienna 1986, 688 f.; Bagrow, A few remarks on maps of the Amur, the Tartar Strait and Sakhalin, in IMAGO MUNDI XII, 127-136.
List of Unusual Items that have come up for Sale – compiled by the British Library – in IMAGO MUNDI XLIIII, 140/1 (a former copy traded here into an important German public collection after it had vagabondized on three places of the German market in the ’70s).
Unknown to Grenacher, Guide to the cartographic history of the imperial city of Augsburg, in I.M. XXII, 85 ff., and Phillips, Atlases + Maps of America. – In the British Library only the original edition ed. by the Imperial Academy of Sciences at Petersburg in 1776. Lotter’s map of Russia of 1788, mentioned not as being printed from more than one plate, in Tooley’s Dictionary probably a new edition of the one listed by Grenacher as published in 1770 (Phillips 3513, 26 as ca. 1772).
third own general map of Russia
on whose two authors is known next to nothing despite of some maps – besides the present general several regional maps – composed together.
“ Based on the county maps of the surveyers and other material (originating especially from expeditions and legations) submitted to the senate, the highest administrative body of the empire, several general maps of the Russian state were produced subsequently, which in their turn served as sources for maps of Russia drawn in other European countries: as first in 1734 the Imperii Russici Tabula Generalis … (c. 1 : 11.7 mill.) by I. Kirilov; followed in 1745 by the Mappa Generalis Totius Imperii Russici (c. 1 : 8.9 mill.) in the Atlas Russicus …, 1776 the ‘Tabula Geographica Generalis Imperii Russici’ (c. 1 : 7.5 mill.) by I. F. Truscot(t) (Trescot) u. J. F. Schmidt … ”
(Lexikon zur Geschichte der Kartographie).
Remarkable, too, the increasingly larger scale of these maps as outer sign of the growing completion of land surveying with the advance of the 18th century. And the present one together also
in regard of the size by far the most imperial .
The rich cartouche decoration – left black and white like in many old coloured map works and also known from the Atlas of the Great Elector – completely in the sign of the policy persued by Catherine the Great (Stettin 1729 – 1796, daughter of Christian August of Anhalt-Zerbst and since 1762 czarina of the house Holstein-Gottorp) in the tradition of Peter the Great.
In regard of the development of Russian cartography
several details seem to be of special interest .
So the complete ignoring of the Volga-Don Canal in all versions and variants of representation still omnipresent in the first half of the 18th century. Here, not least after a futile attempt already under Peter’s Ägide, the interest had, as obviously impracticable, ceased.
Greatest attention , however , deserve
the Asian northeastern coast and the Kurile Islands. Compared with the preceding maps by Kirilov and the Atlas Russicus only Sakhalin and the coast running to the south appear in the known form unchanged since Kirilov’s map of 1734.
But only somewhat more northerly the changes start with the Szantar Islands, hitherto drawn too large, now appearing in correct size in the bay of the Sea of Ochotsk also now extending sharply to the west. Kamchatka iss significantly stretched and thus almost adjusted to its true shape, the Kurile Islands here supposedly marked for the first time with this name as an archipelago, otherwise though – also in regard of the disputed group situated nearer to Japan – corresponding to the general map of the Atlas Russicus and the respective atlas maps. Only the farthest northern tip of Japan here not in the map image anymore. Terre de la Compagnie and da Gama Land found in the Kirilov and Haas maps of 1734 and 1739/43 resp., but also still in Lattré’s map of Asia of about 1770 here left supposedly finally to the memory of the great time of sometimes only vague discoveries and dissolved into a representation corresponding with nature.
Eye-catching as cartographic progress
the severe truncation of the Chukotsk Peninsula leading to the northwest compared with the previous maps still showing Cape Szalaginskoi (Cape Shelagskiy), the northern peninsula, as reaching sharply to the northeast. Although the coast is still drawn too irregular the representation resembles today’s image.
In deviation to both Kirilov’s map as, too, the detail map no. 18 of the Atlas Russicus the equally named islands north off Cape Szalaginskoi missing. This analogously to the general map of the atlas probably drawn too hastily and although the position of the islands was already clarified by Homann’s guiding map of 1725. Also still incorrect as by far both too small and too close to the Asian continent St. Lawrence Island (“I. St. Laurentii”), discovered 1728 by Vitus Bering (1680/81-1741) during the first Kamchatka expedition and today belonging to America. Likewise Diomede Island (“St. Diomedis”) is recorded as part of an extended archipelago of smaller islands just off the mainland. Just as the showing of two “I. St. Andrae” in this area suggests some uncertainties in the reports.
Now correct, however, the representation of the Bear Islands situated before the mouth of River Kolyma, here for the first time as group of small islands and with this designation. Entered already in the Kirilov map – as, too, in Broedelet’s 1743 edition of the Haas map of 1739 – as one large island while still missing in all other maps.
Of highest importance
the inclusion of the southern bow of the Aleutian Islands from the Commander Islands with Bering Island before Kamchatka up to the main group on the eastern side of the exit of the Bering Sea and, since going beyond Unalaska, practically reaching just before the southern tip of Alaska Peninsula.
However, the western Aleutian Islands situated visibly too far westerly, practically constituting an archipelago with the Commander Islands. Attu Island, discovered 1741 by Bering’s deputy, Aleksei Ilyich Chirikov (1703-1748), as the westernmost Aleutian island – 200 years later (1943) scene of the only battle of World War II on American soil – in addition obviously split into several islands, of which the largest one in the southwest is designated “Atta”, whereas with “Ins St Theodori” the most southeasterly one shows Chirikov’s original designation of the island. In Jean Janvier’s continent map of Asia published c. 1770 by Lattré the western Aleutian Islands figure in an indeed more correct distance to the Bering Island as just shadowy coastal strip “Terre vue par Mrs. Tchiricowe et Delisle (Louis De l’Isle de la Croyère, d. 1741) en 7.bre 1741” yet.
Cartographic novelty , too ,
the inlet designated as Matocznik Szar (Matochkin Strait) parting Novaya Zemlya as to be found in probably no map before – also not in Rigobert Bonne’s map of Russia, published 1771 by Lattré in Paris. Otherwise with designation of the known capes and bays, among these Cape Nassau, Asia’s north cape and today Cape Mauritius, as well as the Ice Harbour where Willem Barents (mid 16th cent. – Novaya Zemlya 1697) spent the winter 1696/97 during his second expedition.
ridinger — niemeyer’s quiz questions
Carry off with !!
The former director of the print room of the Kunsthalle Hamburg, Wolf Stubbe, stated in his publication on Johann Elias Ridinger (Ulm 1698 – Augsburg 1767) of 1966, this had been “an animal designer sui generis whose – really unique – style had not been fulfilled by no other artist even just similarly”. About which it is often ignored that Ernst Welisch together claimed him in 1901 as doubtless the “most important Augsburg landscapist of (his) time … although he is primarily known as animal painter”. And summing up Rolf Biedermann reminded in his (Master Drawings of German Baroque) of 1987 that he were “one of the few baroque artists who since his death … had never fallen into oblivion”. Whereas carrying on here his tieing up in the L’Art Macabre could be proven just as that he has easily anticipated the authorship for the change of history painting from the representation of heroic deeds to the reflection on these attributed to Jacques Louis David by sixty years. Nevertheless, so 1997 Alojzy Oborny, director of the Polish National Museum in Kielce, “this artist was fairly underestimated in the past, but his rank in art history rises higher and higher in time”.
Not only that he hold this eminent place already in his lifetime, on the contrary he could afford to think about even highest wishes for paintings first, for his graphic work that had lead him to fame kept him busy. So the just 50-year-old complained in a letter to Wille in Paris that he “… if the above-mentioned work for His Majesty that … would not hinder … (and he would have) nevermore believed that he would take the brush once more but since I have sent a few squares to this court 2 years ago so I have been approached about that till now so that I could not avoid to accept it I hope to be finished with these 4 pieces till end of October …”.
And thus the most beautiful ones of his paintings are today in one of the most famous galleries of the world.
Which of these but few galleries of world rank is it and who was the patron ??
The prize for the first ten correct answers sent in – closing date is May 31, 2003, midnight, as the start of the next following monthly Aha-page – eliminating legal proceedings is one of the 1984 copies numbered in writing (total edition 2000 copies), edited on occasion of the master’s 300th birthday and included in the German National Bibliography as jubilee publication, of the 19 € precious, 100-page 4to-sized timeless private publication on wood and chloride-free art paper in hotmelt brochure
Experience Ridinger© 1698 – 1998
with its 112 items drawings + printing-plates , books + etchings in sets + individual sheets , copies + early postcards offered for sale, illustrated with 53 (26 coloured) partially full-page and folded (3, 2 of which coloured) resp. illustrations. Published (in German) as issue 20 of the publications of the ridinger gallery niemeyer. Printed by – of course – the Christians printing office in Hamburg, today’s twin town of St. Petersburg, founded in 1740 in best Ridinger time during his prolific co-operation with the senator, jurist and poet there, Barthold Heinrich Brockes.
No matter now if you email, fax or write – be among the first ten anyway !!
Elaborated Two Expert Opinions
for Two Petersburg Harbours , too
(Wiebeking, Karl Friedrich von, Wollin 1762 – Munich 1842). (The Course of the River Elbe from Grodenstack over Cuxhaven till northwest of Kugelbake.) With
6 large detail representations
to the reinforcement of the foreland and threefold scale. Engraving printed from 2 plates. 17½ × 28⅜ in (44.4 × 72 cm).
Upper and lower platemark c. 4.5 cm wide each. – Barely noticeable fold at the left image margin. – Lateral margins uncut. The right margin slightly wavy due to the mounting and with traces of box pleats. Isolated little tears in the paper margin backed acid-freely.
Outstanding special map , beside of the accurate cartographic representation of the course of the several dykes – of Steinmarne , old + new (of 1741) sea dike of Döse as well as old + new dike of Neuenfelde together with the sluiceways , Lahnungen (double rows of piles for sediment collection) , mud flats and forelands – of special interest the
as instructive as decorative depictions
of different provisions for the protection of the embankment ,
so the profile of the stone boxes in the old state – stone boxes in the newest state – profile of the brick embankment – the parabolic work – the sine embankment – stone dosage at the dike of Neufeld .
Their respective usage for the protection of the foreland as well as the pile dams in the mud flats especially noted in the map. Beyond this with beacons, lights and landmarks as windmills and houses. Among the latter particularly designated Ritzebüttel Castle – at the lower margin with meridian and indicated parallel of latitude referring to it – and the quarantine house at the Kugelbake. Mud flats, sands, pastures and marsh with respective symbols.
Wiebeking , educated technically as versatile as furthermore historically interested, found his first employment in Dusseldorf in 1788 as hydraulic engineer of the grand duchy Berg, but changed soon into Hessian, Austrian and finally Bavarian service. Already in 1818 he left everyday business to dedicate himself completely to his publications. However,
“ the priority of his activity (was) doubtless the field of hydraulic engineering … (He) demanded the creation of public hydro-technical research institutes … A lot of time was devoted by W. to cartography … ”
(Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie LV, 659 ff.). – And Zögner, Kartenschätze, p. 157 :
“ … one of the most able and productive personage of map affairs of his time and together known water and road architect . ”
Important works are i. a. the construction of a new harbour for Lindau (Lake of Constance) and the first larger correction of the River Isar near Munich. Besides expert opinions for flood protection and construction of two harbours in St. Petersburg, for the enhancement of the harbour conditions of Venice, Trieste and Nieuwendiep in Holland. He rejected, however, the construction of the Louis Channel connecting the Rhine with the Danube for his thorough conviction and in the discernment of the advantage of the upcoming railways.
Present map now the rare opportunity for the visualization of the highly interesting construction of modern dykes
in the district of Hamburg , joined to St. Petersburg as twin town today .
Offer no. 12,211 / EUR 808. / export price EUR 768. (c. US$ 928.) + shipping
Saint Petersburg – Wolf Catcher, Russian. In front large to the left before a lumber yard to the right with laborer scenery at the bank of a wide river enlivened by a sailboat + rowing-boats with the silhouette of a municipal district vis-à-vis dominated by a dome cathedral and a stone-bridge
( Saint Petersburg
with Peter and Paul Cathedral and Petersburg Bridge?).
Steel engraving by Johann Siebert (b. 1804, 1822/28 pupil of the Art School, still fl. in 1846, all Nuremberg) after S. Cooper (the animal painter Thomas Sidney C.?, Canterbury 1803 – Vernon Holme near C. 1902). Ca. 1835. Inscribed: XXV / S. Cooper pinx. / I. Siebert sc. Nbg., otherwise as above in German along with the address of the Art Establishment of the Bibliographical Institute. 6⅝ × 8 in (16.9 × 20.3 cm).
With the full platemark not measuring with, as rather more seldom for steel engravings, and left-sided stitch-margin.
Offer no. 14,823 / EUR 79. (c. US$ 96.) + shipping
From both towns by the way , Petersburg as Hamburg ,
as furthermore as far as from Odessa, Moscow, Milan, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, since 1803, essentially supposedly only after 1825 though, 92 pupils gathered in Vienna, partially on illustrious recommendations, around a fullblooded musician, whose own compositions were with 1700 performances “by far at the top, followed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with (only) 400”. And who was present as ear and eye-witness when in the house of Baron Wetzlar Beethoven in his early years there rivaled with the genius Joseph Wölfl, “pianist of most extraordinary kind”, and founded his fame for freely improvising admired till today. As conductor that musician was close to this Titan during his most unprecedented creative time as which literature sees the years from 1800 till about 1812/13, up to temporary companionship in the house and at table and conducted, for instance, both the two performances of the second version of “Fidelio” in 1806 with the opinions of literature being devided if completely or in parts only. At the end he wrote the choral music to the requiem for the “eternally inconceivable master” (Schott’s Sons advertising op. 130 in August 1825, ergo in lifetime!) and companion of the early years. His own funeral to the Währinger graveyard fourteen years later in turn took shape “under an immense rush of humans from all classes” and the “Österreichische Morgenblatt” of September 1, 1841 ranked him “with the society (already lying in the neighbourhood) of the immortal composers Beethoven and Franz Schubert … ‘In their union he is the third’ …”.
When now in 1831 the plague caused considerable losses for the thought musician by departure of a great many pupils, he started a work dedicated to Beethoven professional circles still blame him for being irrespectable. Not its appendix though in which he commemorates the one departed four years before biographically from personal experience and thus gives the second but earliest epitome of his life, that is his activity in Vienna. The title of this appendix to that publication of 1832 was abused six years later without reprimand by someone else for his own memories of Beethoven.
Chance had it that the original manuscript to the thought biographic appendix got onto the market and into the gallery here, ready to be passed on. At which occasion a passage not known in print on one of the most moving moments in the life of the immortal became evident. That is in connection with a quite splendid noble gesture by the London Philharmonic Society moving the dying for gratefulness beyond words. Believing to be impoverished he had asked the society for an advance for anything subsequent and got 100 £ by return mail. Which the executor, Stefan von Breuning, “remitted with thankful appreciation” as having been not necessary anyway. This important passage not changed in the manuscript missing, however, in print.
Who is the author , what publication is it and what is the title of the appendix ?
The prize for the first ten correct answers sent in – closing date is May 31, 2003, midnight, as the start of the next following monthly Aha-page – eliminating legal proceedings is one copy of the 15 € precious first-time complete publication of the 12½-page manuscript version per image + transcription under the title
companion of already the early years – … …
with illustrated cover in red + black.
No matter now if you email, fax or write – be among the first ten anyway !!
“ Thank for the images … Convinced … wrap it up and forward an invoice and I will post you a check … attached a photo of my Vessel … Look forward to more … Thanks ”
(Mr. M. M., June 13, 2006)