Johann Elias Ridinger (Ulm 1698 – Augsburg 1767). The Leopard Horse with Ear-Bouquet. The splendidly long-tailed stallion in wonderfully easy movement to the right in fine hilly landscape with village marked by a steeple, the fine head with bright eye and swelled nostril turned to the beholder. Apart five horses partly romping and rolling. After the portrait painted from life by Christian Ludwig Baron von Löwenstern (1701 Darmstadt 1754). Etching with engraving. 13½ × 10⅞ in (34.3 × 27.6 cm). Inscribed: 38. / Lib: Baro de Löuenstern ad viv: pinx. Darmst. / J. El. Ridinger sc: et excud. 1745. & captioned in German
“ This Young Leopard Horse bred at Orange=Polder a village not far from Delft in the province of Holland
had this ear-bouquet of black color
like the other spots and has been paid for as a rarity very dearly by the manorial family of counts Promnitz from Silesia on their Dutch journey 1743. ”
in a marvelous impression with margins 2.8-3.9 cm wide .
Small typogr. watermark. – On the back on both sides (on the left partially only) discoloring from previous glue strip. Invisibly acid-freely backed little tear in the white top margin.
Missing in both the great Polish (sic, Silesia!) 18-months Ridinger touring exhibition 1997/98 and the 1999 Darmstadt (sic!) exhibition as the central, standards setting exhibitions to Ridinger’s 300th birthday. See their richly illustrated catalogs Johann Elias Ridinger and Die Tierdarstellungen von Johann Elias Ridinger resp. Negative report, too, with the Silesian (sic!) Ridinger collection 1885 at Boerner (cat. XXXIX). And among the innumerable duplicates of individual sheets of the Wondrous with the market-sweeper Hamminger 1895 but one single copy. Nevertheless Helbing could indeed assemble four copies for his Ridinger catalog of 1900, yet only two of which comparable, both the two others with narrow margins or even trimmed to the subject (cat. XXX, 653-656). As individual sheet here now
available again for the first time in 28 years.
As hippological wonder the portrait of the Promnitz trouvaille, conceivably painted already during the return, was entrusted to Ridinger as first resort for such for instantaneous documentation within his running series of zoological case examples.
Closely connected with the Darmstadt court, Baron von Löwenstern, active also as poet and composer, was, like Goethe, an amateur artist with nonetheless a most extensive painted œuvre
“ of richly composed battle scenes in the manner of (Jacques) Courtois (1621-1675; ‘were esteemed and admired already by his contemporaries for the immediate freshness and liveliness of conception and rendition, as well as the masterly capture of the atmospheric ambience … was one of the first plein-air painters’, Th.-B. VII , 591 f.), hunting pieces, and portraits … For the famous art clock (Louis VIII) presented Maria Theresa with (and had it conveyed in 1750 by his court hunting painter, the young Georg Adam Eger) L(öwenstern) worked both the first two designs. In some portraits of his (court painter) friend Joh. Chr. Fiedler L. painted the battle scenes in the background, so established for the landgrave’s portrait of 1741 … Main work: Battle at Dettingen, painted for the landgrave in 1746. 200 of such ‘battle and horse pieces’ were in the possession of the wife of hunting master von Reischbach … Fiedler painted his portrait, engraved in mezzotint by J. J. Haid (pupil and subsequently still journeyman with Ridinger, creator of his portrait both in oil and as ‘programmatic mezzotint’ [Gode Krämer]) ”
(Thieme-Becker XXIII , 328).
The historically deeply rooted Silesian family of immediate counts von Promnitz as purchasers of the thoroughbred “leopard” was in the possession of the dominion Pless in the administrative district Oppeln since 1542, with ancestral seats at Sorau & Pless, and brought forth several important members of greater interest. Although the dominion passed to the house of Anhalt-Koethen already 1765 (the family became extinct 1785), the “hunting lodge Promnitz” survived the centuries to this day and served Emperor William II in autumn 1913, when he killed the famous 26-pointer September 12, both as place of work and refuge for stalking. During World War I temporarily imperial headquarter,
“ three decisions of far-reaching consequence were made at Pless, that is the relief of Erich v. Falkenhayn by legendary Field Marshal General Paul v. Hindenburg as chief of the general staff and at the same time the appointment of General Erich Ludendorff to First Quartermaster General. Then to be mentioned furthermore the decision to create a Polish state and finally the declaration of unrestricted submarine warfare, resulting in the declaration of war by the United Stateson the German Reich ”
(Andreas Gautschi in Gautschi and Rakow, Wilhelm II. und das Waidwerk. Bothel, Nimrod-Verlag F. Rakow, 2006, pp. 234 f. along with illustrations of Pless Castle & Park Pless and especially “His Majesty’s study in the Hunting Lodge Promnitz [Pless]”).
On Promnitz also see Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie XXVI (1888), pp. 663 f.; Magno, Histor. Beschreibung der Hoch=Reichs=Gräfflichen Promnitzischen Residenzstadt Sorau, Leipsic 1710; König, Biograph. Lexikon aller Helden und Militärpersonen, welche sich in preuß. Diensten berühmt gemacht haben, vol. III, Berlin 1790; Bülau, Geheime Geschichten und räthselhafte Menschen, vol. II, 2nd ed., Leipsic 1863.
The unique sujet additionally ennobled in such a manner then here & now .
Offer no. 16,164 / price on application