(Bacharach, Ruin of the Chapel of St. Werner in.) Detail view from below with small vineyard, wine tasting + cellarman in front. Toned wood engraving after Caspar Scheuren (Aix-la-Chapelle 1810 – Dusseldorf 1887) for Adolf Closs, Stuttgart. (1875-76.) Inscribed typographically as above. 10½ × 6⅞ in (26.8 × 17.6 cm).
“ Celebrated by the German romantic movement as embodiment of the elegiac ruin the Werner Chapel became the
most precious treasure of the Middle Rhine
… (and in its) moving antagonism of grace and decay, vulnerability and inertia it is irresistable till today ”
(Dieter Bartetzko in Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of September 8, 2007).
Erected between 1287 and 1430 to the memory of the murder of the 16-year-old Werner from Oberwesel the Jews were charged with with the consequence of pogroms (cf. Heinrich Heine, The Rabbi of Bacharach) and 1689 partly destroyed by the French under Mélac during the Palatine War of Succession it survived the times sui generis, torso of a “precious masterwork of High Gothic”.
Offer no. 7,083 | EUR 86. (c. US$ 99.) + shipping
„ … Toll, die Verbindung der Kunst mit berühmten Männern der Geschichte. Dazu die qualitative Aufmachung … “
(Frau U. K., 2. Januar 2010)