The Authentic Boudoir Scene of 1742
Hogarth, William (1697 London 1764). Taste in High Life. The authentic boudoir scene ordered by Miss Edwards in 1742 with herself in crinoline and all the finery of the Pompadour in the center, in ecstatic talk about a porcelain cup with Lord Portmore, adequately spruced up with periwig, muff, and tricorne. On the left the lady companion caressing a black boy, in front a little monkey in frock rating the dinner card. ngraving by Ernst Ludwig Riepenhausen (1765 Göttingen 1840, university engraver there). Inscribed: 62. / W. Hogarth inv. / R. f., otherwise as above. 6¾ × 8¼ in (17.3 × 21.1 cm).
“ For the execution … it was also made a condition that the artist were not permitted making prints. Another painter obtained … the occasion to make a copy, however, after which the prints were sold through no fault of Hogarth … This gentleman, the model of a Briton who as a dandy purified his taste at the French court … is a portrait, just as the lady, but only an involuntary one whom the order of his friend is said to not have pleased. It is the then Lord Portmore … ”
The painting of 1742 then in the possession of John Birch. – Early toned impression. – Riepenhausen’s engravings after Hogarth (“very estimable”, Nagler) belong to his chief work and not least for being in the original direction they are partly even preferred to Hogarth’s own engravings.
Offer no. 7,778 | EUR 87. (c. US$ 93.) + shipping
– – – The same by Riepenhausen as before, but on slightly toned minor paper.
Offer no. 14,987 | EUR 66. (c. US$ 71.) + shipping
– – – The same by Riepenhausen as before, but on especially strong paper, supposedly about 1850. – Verso in the wide white margin light fox-spot.
Offer no. 14,986 | EUR 82. (c. US$ 88.) + shipping
– – – The same in engraving by Carl Heinrich Rahl (Hoffenheim 1779 – Vienna 1843). (1818/23.) Inscribed: 62., otherwise as above. 6⅝ × 8⅝ in (16.9 × 22 cm).
Offer no. 7,777 | EUR 66. (c. US$ 71.) + shipping
– – – The same in lithography. (1833/36.) Inscribed: Der vornehme Geschmack. 6⅝ × 7¾ in (18.6 × 19.7 cm). – Extensive caption à la Lichtenberg in German.
Offer no. 7,779 | EUR 87. (c. US$ 93.) + shipping
– – – The same in steel engraving about 1840. 5¼ × 6 in (13.3 × 15.2 cm). – Title in German + English. – Slightly fox-spotted.
Offer no. 7,780 | EUR 32. (c. US$ 34.) + shipping
„ die beiden Exemplare (Curtius Rufus) sind gestern angekommen und übertrafen meine Erwartungen. Es sind zwei sehr schöne Exemplare und ich freue mich bereits sehr auf die Lektüre. Haben Sie vielen Dank und ich wünsche Ihnen weiterhin viel Erfolg. Mit besten Grüßen “
(Herr J. P., 20. Oktober 2020)